Thursday, February 25, 2010

The Apotheosis of Washington

Hello guys, It's me again. Long time no see, long time no post. I've been busy in a while with my school so I can't write again in my blog. I also just confused "what must I write,eh?. Right now, I've been hypnotized by the Dan Brown's book again, "Lost Symbol". I'm surprised while knowing that so many art architecture in the U.S. capitol, include the Apotheosis part.
In this post, I just want to share to you, the picture of the apotheosis. Maybe when you read the novel, you only imaginate the picture. But now, I want to provide the picture that I found when I googling.

Below is the picture of the apotheosis, painted by Constantino Brumidi in 1865. In the central it depicted George Washington rising to heavens in glory, surrounded by 13 maiden.

And the six group of picture, surrounding the central picture are :Agriculture represents Ceres seated on the McCormick Reaper.
Commerce represents Mercury handing a bag of money to Robert Morris, financier of the American Revolution
Marine represents Neptune holding his trident and Venus.
Mechanics represents Vulcan at the anvil and forge, producing a cannon and a steam engine;
Science represents Minerva teaching Benjamin Franklin, Robert Fulton, and Samuel F.B. Morse
War represents Armed Freedom and the eagle defeating Tyranny and Kingly Power

No comments:

Post a Comment